Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Dinner Prayers"

   Bless us O Lord,
and these thy gifts,
which we are about to receive
from thy bounty
through Christ our Lord,
Amen


We give you thanks 
for all thy benefits through
Almighty God
who lives and reigns forever.
May the souls of the
faithfully departed
through the mercy of God
rest in peace.
Amen




One of my favorite memories of growing up in a
large family was dinner around the table.
Believe it or not, Mom and Dad got all seven of us
to the table every night! We each had our own chair;
mine was to Mom's right because I was
left-handed. It's still my favorite seat in their house!!
No doubt everyone else remembers
where they sat as well.
Each night Dad and Mom led us in our
dinner prayers, one before and always
one after each meal. No one could be excused
from the table until we prayed the
"Thanksgiving" prayer together.
I encourage you to incorporate the thanksgiving
prayer into your daily meals.
What a wonderful closing to special time together
around your table with your precious family!
****

P.S. jabo and I recently went to a dinner event at church and it was
so incredibly special to me when we all prayed the
same dinner prayer before we sat down to eat. Of course,
the prayer is not new but for some reason hearing
so many voices, young and old, all echoing this same prayer together...
well, it was just so beautiful, I could feel it in my bones!

No comments: